Design to compete
Design plays a critical role in taking innovation to market and assists in the successful commercialisation of innovative products and services.
What is design?
“Design is making things right.” ~ Ralph Kaplan
Design is the human aspect of product and service development that takes into account the way in which a product or service will be used, perceived and appreciated. A well designed product matches functionality with emerging market needs and adds the human touch to new technologies.
Design may take various forms, for example
- Industrial design and engineering design considers appearance and appeal and can be applied to products or the construction of plant, machinery or structures
- Ergonomic design considers the elements of comfort and human movement and refines products or machinery to optimise the ways in which they are used
- Graphic design gives a physical appearance to a concept or idea and can be applied to products, materials, packaging, or communications about a product or service (marketing)
- Spatial design and architectural design take account of the interaction between people and spaces and are applied to shape, layout and placement, or interior decor
- Experience design brings elements together to create unique experiences and can be applied to retail precincts, displays or events
- User interface design considers the interaction between people and technology and can be applied to controls, visual displays, sequences of commands, or help functions
- Fashion or apparel design provides visual and aesthetic appeal applied to textile materials or clothing.